Friday 17 August 2012

Mmmmmmm Dilled Carrots

With fall just around the corner, I am getting the itch to get my canning on!  I l-o-v-e growing/picking, preparing and enjoying my very own creations.  A couple of my favourites are pickled beets and sweet chili sauce.  To kick off the weekend I decided to start with my easiest recipe, dilled carrots.  There is minor prepping and no processing of the jars.  Truly, very simple.  You will need:
Carrots
Fresh Dill
Garlic Cloves
Vinegar
Water
Salt
Jars




I started with one bag of carrots.  Peel, cut in half, cut into strips and wash.  Place one to two gloves of garlic and a spring of dill into each jar( I did this part after the carrots:).  I managed to fill five 500ml jars for this recipe.  Then pack your carrots upright into each jar.  Next you will bring to a boil 3 cups of vinegar, 3 cups of water and 3 tsp of salt.  Once boiled pour brine over carrots in jar leaving about 1/2 space from the top.  Seal with your lids and forget about them for about one week and then enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment